Thursday, August 23, 2012

How Chocolate Spreads the Gospel



It was a Saturday afternoon and we were leaving the city and driving one hour north to CIMA del Rey, our ministry center. As we were passing through the city, I told the boys, (with my “tongue-in-cheek”) “Boys, I’m not sure, but I think the Holy Spirit may be leading us to stop and get some chocolate.”
To which Nicolas quickly responded, “Mom, I am feeling it in my spirit, too!” 
I decided to stop at the grocery store. I parked, and as soon as I got out of the car, I was met by three “limpiabotas”, or shoeshine boys, asking to shine our shoes. Well, Marcus’ shoes looked horrible, and mine weren’t so great either. So, on a whim, I decided to let these guys shine our shoes. 
As the boys shined our shoes, I asked them their names. They told me their names were Alexander, Daniel & Tato. I asked Daniel, as he scrubbed Marcus’ grubby shoe, “Daniel did you know that you have the same name as a very famous Bible character?” 
 “Yes,” said Daniel. 
“Do you know the Bible story about Daniel?” I inquired. 
“Yes,” he replied. “He died on the cross for our sins.” 
This made me smile, as I explained that it was Jesus, not Daniel, who died on the cross.  “Actually, I’m talking about another guy in the Bible who was spent a night with lions. His name was named Daniel just like you. Do you guys want to hear about this Daniel?” 
They were all VERY interested, so I told them about “Daniel and the Lion’s Den.” They took their time shining shoes as I told the story, and when we were finished, they told me that they would be watching my car as I shopped. 
As we entered the supermarket, Nicolas said, “Mom, the Holy Spirit really did lead us to get some chocolate!” So we bought chocolate for ourselves and for the shoeshine boys.
The boys were waiting next to my car when we entered the parking lot, just as they promised. As I gave them the chocolate that we bought for them, I reminded them that although they may never end up in a lion’s den like Daniel, there may be many situations in their lives that will cause them to be fearful. I encouraged them to remember to pray like Daniel did, and ask God to take care of them. Then, I asked them if they were Christians. 
Daniel told me, “I’m waiting until I’m eleven to be a Christian.” 
Tato said, “We have to stop lying before we can be Christians.” 
Alexander added, “Sometimes we go to church.” 

I told the guys, “I have good news! You don’t have to wait until you are eleven, you don’t have to stop lying, or go to church before you can become a Christian. You can become a Christian today!” In that moment, I was able to lead those three shoeshine boys to Jesus.
Some people may believe this chocolate mission is a “sweet” but insignificant story. After all, these were just uneducated little boys shining shoes in a parking lot. In fact, the parking lot limpiabotas are often ignored, they beg for attention, and are considered an annoyance to the shoppers.  Yet we know that I know that this encounter was an important moment with eternal implications. The spiritual seed that was planted in their hearts is NOT insignificant.
As we said good-bye to our new friends they begged me to come by and see them every Saturday and Sunday at the supermarket parking lot.  For me, this is a great reason to stop and get some chocolate! And I’m pretty sure that Nicolas, Marcus and the Holy Spirit will agree! 
Thank you so much for your gifts and prayers that make it possible for us to reach children like Tato, Alexander and Daniel in Dominican Republic!


No comments: